Hard to believe that the holiday travel season is upon us and yet here it is.
There are some things you can do to make sure your trip goes as smoothly as possible.
1. Be sure to stay connected. Download your favorite travel apps such as Gate Guru and Flight Status to your smartphone before leaving home.
2. If possible, print your boarding passes at home, use a check-in kiosk at the airport, or pull up your boarding pass on your smartphone.
3. Pack wisely and light. If you can avoid checking a bag, you will generally save money (depends on the airline), and time at the baggage conveyor and you will be prepared if you need to change plans in the middle of your trip due to weather, etc. If going the carry-on route, pay particular attention to TSA’s rules about liquids and gels following the 3-1-1 guidelines at TSA.gov. Since it is the holidays, remember wrapped packages can cause security check-in delays. It is best to wrap at your destination or better yet ship the packages ahead.
4. Pack snacks for the trip and potential delays along the way. Once you get through security, you can buy water and other beverages to take on-board. Don’t get hangry along the way. Keep yourself and your travel companions fueled up for the trip.
5. Pack plenty of books, games, and other entertainment for yourself and especially for any children traveling with you.
6. Be sure that you are aware of alternative routes, flights and airports to reach your destination, that way you can help reroute yourself if needed.
7. Allow extra time everywhere – driving to the airport, check-in, and getting through security. Even if you are an expert traveler, during the holiday season there are many who only travel occasionally and they may need extra help getting through the airport and the process.
8. Take a deep breath and keep in mind the reason you are traveling in the first place.
Happy Holidays and Safe Travels.